Wednesday, December 30, 2009

20. Say it with me.

It's a little thing, really. A personal pet peeve. One that shouldn't bother me nearly no much as the oft-misstated "Elementary, my dear Watson"s, "Beam me up, Scotty"s, and "Play it again, Sam"s of the world. (Note to future screenwriters everywhere: none of those lines were ever spoken by their ascribed iconic characters, and therefore cannot be quoted. So, for the sake of my sanity. Stop doing it.) Still, I can count almost daily -- sometimes by the dozens -- the number of times someone refers to a book in the bible that.... does not exist. You hear it on TV. On street corners. Even on movies, where you know that hundreds to thousands of separate individuals must have passed over this little inaccuracy either without noticing, or without knowing the difference.

Call it a public service. More accurately, call it a trivial, OCD-induced rant from a former librarian who will likely conclude this post with a childish snort and a grab for the last piece of Christmas fudge. Still, I feel compelled to at least put it out there.

The last book in the Bible is not Revelations. It's Revelation. Just one. Not plural. No "s".

As I said, it's a little thing. But it drives my poor, compulsive senses absolutely bat-shit. Seriously, it's worse than nails on a chalk board, or biting into tin foil. I view it the way a dog views a vacuum. It's that bad. So if you really feel the need to quote from this particular codex, at least quote it correctly. Please?

Thank you.

I'ma go see about that fudge, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Out Campaign: Scarlet Letter of Atheism